Arrow Prev Arrow Next

11190 - ARQUES
Tel. 33 (0)4 68 69 82 87


The valley of Arques has been inhabited since prehistoric times. In the beginning of 11th century the area was owned by the Lords of Termes.


In 1210, during the Albigensian Crusade Arques was taken and sacked by Simon de Montfort. Then the village was gien, as a reward to his lieutenant, Pierre de Voisins. But it was in 1280 that Gilles, Pierre's son, began the construction of the castle and his grandson Gilles II finished the construction around 1310.


The castle was sold as national property during the French Revolution and sustained some damage. It was listed as an Historical Monument in 1887.


The square keep, which is remarkably well conserved, is a masterpiece of gothic, military architecture. The tower was build in the center of the walled space, has 11m aside, 25m high and is composed of fours levels : the first two have ribbed vaulted ceilings, the third has a wooden floor, and the fourth is the main defensive level. The south-west corner shelters a dwelling tower with two level.



• Shop


ADULTS 6,00 €
CHILDREN (6-15 years old) 3,00 €
GROUPS (over 10 people) 4,50 €
GUIDED VISIT (over 15 people) 6,50 €
ADULTS WITH Passeport des Sites du Pays Cathare 5,00 €


• Credit Card  • Cash  • Eurocard - Mastercard  • Transfer  • Visa  • Chèques bancaires et postaux  • Chèques Vacances 

Opening hours

Closed in January, February and December.


March, October and November : 10:00am - 1:00pm and 2:00pm - 5:00pm

April and May :                             10:00am - 1:00pm and 2:00pm - 6:00pm

June and September :                 10:00am - 6:00pm

July and August :                          10:00am - 7:00pm


Final visit 30mn prior to closing time.


Guided tour on reservation only -10 people minimum.




Office de Tourisme du Pays de Couiza

17 route des Pyrénées • 11190 Couiza
Tél. 04 68 69 69 85 • Fax. 04 68 69 00 00


Hiking & Outdoor activities

Hiking & outdoor activities

Weather forecast